www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Alex Jacobson <a...@i2x.com>
Subject mod_actions/5800: PATH_INFO/PATH_TRANSLATED are incorrect when used with Action/AddHandler
Date Tue, 22 Feb 2000 22:12:55 GMT

>Number:         5800
>Category:       mod_actions
>Synopsis:       PATH_INFO/PATH_TRANSLATED are incorrect when used with Action/AddHandler
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Responsible:    apache
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   apache
>Arrival-Date:   Tue Feb 22 14:20:00 PST 2000
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     alex@i2x.com
>Release:        1.3.6
On 11/30/1999, Jim Garrison asked on comp.infosystems.www
why does path_info exhibit such inconsistent behavior
in the presence of an action directive.
He set .pdq to be handled by printenv.cgi and go the following behavior:
>  http://host.domain.com/zzz/printenv.cgi/additional
> invokes the script with PATH_INFO set as
>     PATH_INFO = /additional
> whereas the URL
>     http://host.domain.com/pdq/test.pdq/additional
> invokes the script with PATH_INFO set as
>     PATH_INFO = /pdq/test.pdq/additional
> which seems to be a bug.  I was expecting the same
> PATH_INFO in both cases.

Even wierder is that, if test.pdq doesn't exist,
apache issues a 404 rather than executing your handler.

The only answer I saw was David Efflandt's:
> When a CGI is invoked as an Action handler, it gets the full URL path to
> the request (not including domain) as
> PATH_INFO and the system path to the requested file as PATH_TRANSLATED.

> Both are according to the Apache docs.  So which one don't you
> understand and why would you expect different URL  paths to give you the
> same PATH_INFO?

However, under test.pdq, PATH_TRANSLATED is test.pdq/additional, a file
that does not exist!

Since apache won't execute the handler unless test.pdq exists, the
path translated must really be /path/to/pdq/test.pdq (PATH_TRANSLATED
notwithstanding).
>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:
Under test.pdq, Apache should do: