www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Glenn Fleishman <gl...@glenns.org>
Subject general/5790: Too many open files error via CGI (may be mod_cgi problem)
Date Mon, 21 Feb 2000 17:42:37 GMT

>Number:         5790
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       Too many open files error via CGI (may be mod_cgi problem)
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
>Responsible:    apache
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   apache
>Arrival-Date:   Mon Feb 21 09:50:00 PST 2000
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     glenn@glenns.org
>Release:        1.3.11
Until i installed 1.3.11, I was running 1.3.9 (both with mod_ssl) and didn't have this problem
with identical software. After running for several hours, the system starts generating "too
many open files" errors and must be manually restarted. I thought this might be a system instability,
but have tracked it back to the install date of 1.3.11. It's happened daily since I installed
that release.

I run a number of perl daemons that interact with Apache CGIs, and I'm wondering if the CGI
perl is not having its filehandles properly closed on exit? I'm not sure how to better document
this. I'm reverting to 1.3.9 right away to solve the problem.