www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Greg Fast <...@imsa.edu>
Subject config/5764: make install does evil when layout not fully specified
Date Tue, 15 Feb 2000 20:23:04 GMT

>Number:         5764
>Category:       config
>Synopsis:       make install does evil when layout not fully specified
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Responsible:    apache
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   apache
>Arrival-Date:   Tue Feb 15 12:30:00 PST 2000
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     gdf@imsa.edu
>Release:        1.3.11
If any of {iconsdir, htdocsdir, cgidir} is left undefined in the
install layout, 'make install-data' blithely attempts to install
the default data tree in /.  Because make install-data does a
'find $(htdocsdir)/ -exec chmod a+rx', doing make install (esp.
as root) can lead to Evil Badness.

Makefile and/or configure should probably complain and/or die
if any of the paths in the layout are left undefined.

More background:
Attempting to upgrade from 1.3.4 to 1.3.6, I followed the same
install steps I had before, including reusing the layout file from
my previous install.  I was unpleasantly surprised when 'make install'
started chmodding seemingly random files.  While I noticed this
problem attempting to install 1.3.6, I did not chase it down
immediately (1.3.9 was already out at the time), but stuck with my
stable 1.3.4 install.  I've now confirmed that the problem persists
in 1.3.11.
>How-To-Repeat:
./configure --with-layout=foo:bar; make; make install
with layout in foo:
<Layout bar>
    prefix:        /tmp/apache_test
    exec_prefix:   $prefix