www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Vladislav Malyshkin <...@mail1.nai.net>
Subject Re: mod_jserv/5755: mod_jserv and httpd -HUP restarting problem
Date Tue, 15 Feb 2000 15:50:01 GMT
The following reply was made to PR mod_jserv/5755; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Vladislav Malyshkin <mal@mail1.nai.net>
To: Ed Korthof <ed@cloudfactory.org>, apbugs@apache.org
Subject: Re: mod_jserv/5755: mod_jserv and httpd -HUP restarting problem
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 10:39:54 -0500

 > Apache sets up its own signal handler for SIGHUP -- and I'm a little
 > hesitant to mess with that.  When that handler recieved a SIGHUP, it
 > starts the standard Apache cleanup -- I don't think this cleanup is needed
 > or even appropriate w/in the wrapper process (which isn't like a normal
 > httpd child)

 I think that wrapper needs this cleanup function and first thing which wrapper must do
 on cleanup is to stop JVM. Otherwise you may easily get a runaway JVM
 which will create a serious problem:
 the only way to start new apache process will be to kill runaway JVM manually
 and then start apache.
 So I think instead of adding SIGHUP handler it will be better to implement
 this cleanup function which will call
 wrapper_shutdown(0);

 Vladislav