www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Ed Korthof ...@cloudfactory.org>
Subject Re: mod_jserv/5755: mod_jserv and httpd -HUP restarting problem
Date Tue, 15 Feb 2000 03:20:01 GMT
The following reply was made to PR mod_jserv/5755; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Ed Korthof <ed@cloudfactory.org>
To: Vladislav Malyshkin <mal@mail1.nai.net>
Cc: bugs@apache.org, apbugs@apache.org
Subject: Re: mod_jserv/5755: mod_jserv and httpd -HUP restarting problem
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 17:48:07 -0800 (PST)

 On Mon, 14 Feb 2000, Vladislav Malyshkin wrote:

 > Hi, Ed.
 > It was a problem with wrapper: it  does not kill java VM in case of some
 > signal delivery. In case of some timing when the signal is delivered  the
 > value of jvm_pid is 0 and the JVM is not killed.
 [snip]

 Hi --

 The correct solution remains to send a SIGHUP to the parent only, not to
 all the children (esp if, as you indicated to me in private mail, this is
 sufficient).  In any case, that is the correct way to stop Apache -- it
 follows the API, and it's in the scripts which Apache distributes.
 Sending SIGHUP to all the httpd processes is simply wrong.

 The change which you've shown effectively means that the JVM will recieve
 a SIGHUP, rather than being signaled to shut down in the normal fashion --
 that means that servlets are not given an opportunity to shut down, as
 required by the Servlet API.  Needless to say, I'm not going to apply this
 patch.

 If you could explain a bit more about how you think the jserv wrapper
 might fail to signal the JVM correctly during normal opperations (which
 doesn't includ using killall), I'm willing to look into that, however.  I
 haven't seen it, but then I've always used manual mode, rather than
 automatic, and I'm not currently admining any sites using JServ.

 Ed
 --
 See you at ApacheCon 2000 in Orlanda, Florida, March 8-10, 2000.
                  http://www.Apachecon.com/