www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Ed Korthof ...@cloudfactory.org>
Subject Re: mod_jserv/5755: mod_jserv and httpd -HUP restarting problem
Date Mon, 14 Feb 2000 19:30:01 GMT
The following reply was made to PR mod_jserv/5755; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Ed Korthof <ed@cloudfactory.org>
To: Vladislav Malyshkin <mal@mail1.nai.net>
Cc: submit@bugz.apache.org, apbugs@apache.org
Subject: Re: mod_jserv/5755: mod_jserv and httpd -HUP restarting problem
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 11:28:24 -0800 (PST)

 Instead of running 'killall -HUP httpd', try sending HUP to only the
 parent httpd process.  (If you used the RedHat RPM, IIRC this would be:
 "kill -HUP `cat /var/run/httpd.pid`" -- though you may need to change the
 file location -- or perhaps something like '/etc/rc.d/apache reload'.)  If
 you send killall -HUP, the child httpd processes will recieve two HUP
 signals.  That may (or may not) be sufficient to cause problems of some
 sort or another with JServ ...

 Generally, the error which you've described occurs when you're using
 automatic mode, and mod_jserv fails to tell the JVM to terminate; I'm not
 sure what could have changed between 1.0 and 1.1, but it's certainly
 possible that something changed which would affect timing slightly.

 You can, of course, turn off automatic mode, which would solve this
 problem -- but then you need to do process management for the JVM
 yourself.

 good luck --

 Ed

 On 14 Feb 2000, Vladislav Malyshkin wrote:

 [snip]
 > I have the following problem
 >
 > I  installed ApacheJServ 1.1 which starts automatically by httpd.
 > It works fine untill first restart of HTTPD by command killall -HUP httpd
 > Since httpd received -HUP signal every few minutes I get a new message in httpd server
error_log

 > ApacheJServ/1.1: Exception creating the server socket: java.net.BindException: Address
already in use

 > It looks like httpd is trying to start JVM over and over again despite it is already
running.
 > In several days I have hundreds of lines with this message
 [snip]

 --
 See you at ApacheCon 2000 in Orlanda, Florida, March 8-10, 2000.
                  http://www.Apachecon.com/