www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <...@engelschall.com>
Subject Re: mod_rewrite/5733: "On-the-fly Content-Regeneration" will not work as described.
Date Thu, 10 Feb 2000 16:30:01 GMT
The following reply was made to PR mod_rewrite/5733; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Ralf S. Engelschall" <rse@engelschall.com>
To: apbugs@apache.org
Subject: Re: mod_rewrite/5733: "On-the-fly Content-Regeneration" will not work as described.
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 17:26:50 +0100

 In article <20000210125306.39575.qmail@locus.apache.org> you wrote:

 >>Synopsis:       "On-the-fly Content-Regeneration" will not work as described.
 > [...]
 > "RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME}   !-s
 > RewriteCond ^page\.html$          page.cgi   [T=application/x-httpd-cgi,L]"
 >
 > 1) The second RewriteCond should be a RewriteRule.
 > 2) the -s and -f checks seem  to just do a stat() on what they are given, anyway, so
unless your documentroot is / then the file will never exist?
 > 3) Under what conditions *would* this work? :)
 >>How-To-Repeat:
 > http://www.apache.org.uk/docs/misc/rewriteguide.html
 >>Fix:
 > Subst RewriteCond for RewriteRule in second line.

 Done.

 > Add note, or additional info into file-test section to clarify if they check
 > URIs or files (this example implies URIs, the docs says 'file').

 There is the following note:

 | ATTENTION: Depending on your server-configuration it can be necessary to
 | slightly change the examples for your situation, e.g. adding the [PT] flag
 | when additionally using mod_alias and mod_userdir, etc. Or rewriting a ruleset
 | to fit in <tt>.htaccess</tt> context instead of per-server context. Always
try
 | to understand what a particular ruleset really does before you use it. It
 | avoid problems.

 Here the ruleset was originally used in .htaccess context and there
 is should work as written down (although I've not tried it since two
 years).
                                        Ralf S. Engelschall
                                        rse@engelschall.com
                                        www.engelschall.com