www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From John Line <web...@info.cam.ac.uk>
Subject mod_rewrite/5723: RewriteOptions bug (and/or documentation misleading)
Date Tue, 08 Feb 2000 15:15:59 GMT

>Number:         5723
>Category:       mod_rewrite
>Synopsis:       RewriteOptions bug (and/or documentation misleading)
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Responsible:    apache
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   apache
>Arrival-Date:   Tue Feb 08 07:20:00 PST 2000
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     webadm@info.cam.ac.uk
>Release:        1.3.9
The documentation for RewriteOptions says

Context: server config, virtual host, directory, .htaccess

but that is either misleading or divergent from reality.

It implies that you can use "RewriteOptions: inherit" in the main part of the
configuration file (outside any Virtualhost sections). That is true in the
sense that RewriteOptions is accepted in the main part of the configuration
file without error, but in a configuration with two name-based virtual hosts
sharing a single IP address, it had no effect until I moved it inside one of the
<VirtualHost> sections. RewriteRules defined in the main (non-virtual) part of
the configuration were ignored until RewriteOptions was set in the virtual
host sections, at which point they were inherited as I'd intended.

The documentation does not actually say what effect RewriteOptions in the main
part of the configuration file should have; the obvious interpretation and
what I expected was that it would cause the non-virtualhost rewriting rules
to be inherited by all virtual servers unless overridden by vhost-specific
settings (with vhost-specific rules merged in after the inherited ones) -
that seems likely to be a common requirement for handling "standard" rules
to exclude misbehaving indexing robots and suchlike, and a single overall
setting would make the situation much clearer and reduces the risk of
inconsistent configuration.

Anyway, depending on whether it's viewed as a primarily documentation bug
or a software bug, either

(a) mod_rewrite should apply a suitable interpretation to RewriteOptions when
used in the main (non-vhost) part of the configuration file (rather than
ignoring it as at present), and the documentation should make clear what it
does when used in that way, or

(b) the documentation should make clear that RewriteOptions is not valid
in the main (non-vhost) part if the configuration file, and mod_rewrite should
report as an error any attempt to use it there.