www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Herko ter Horst <herko.ter.ho...@aidministrator.nl>
Subject general/5722: Hostnames with underscores fail to work with VirtualHost directive
Date Tue, 08 Feb 2000 12:02:52 GMT

>Number:         5722
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       Hostnames with underscores fail to work with VirtualHost directive
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Responsible:    apache
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   apache
>Arrival-Date:   Tue Feb 08 04:10:00 PST 2000
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     herko.ter.horst@aidministrator.nl
>Release:        1.3.11
Our configuration from 1.3.6 included this VirtualHost setup:

NameVirtualHost 111.222.333.444
<VirtualHost 111.222.333.444>
    ServerName www_ourname_com
</VirtualHost>
<VirtualHost 111.222.333.444>
    ServerName news_ourname_com
</VirtualHost>

With www_ourname_com and news_ourname_com, as well as www_ourname_com.ourdomain.com and news_ourname_com.ourdomain.com,
being valid DNS names.
However, with 1.3.11 this fails to work. The only way to get it working again is to use virtual
hosts with no underscores in the name.

The error is a Bad request (Client sent malformed Host header).
>How-To-Repeat:
An adaptation of the sample configuration above should reproduce the problem.