www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Charlie Buckheit <buckh...@olg.com>
Subject general/5720: bug in http_vhost.c causes error when hostname contains underscore ("_")
Date Tue, 08 Feb 2000 01:28:37 GMT

>Number:         5720
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       bug in http_vhost.c causes error when hostname contains underscore ("_")
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
>Responsible:    apache
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   apache
>Arrival-Date:   Mon Feb 07 17:30:00 PST 2000
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     buckheit@olg.com
>Release:        1.3.11
Check out line 676 in http_vhost.c in the main directory. It performs a isalnum check on each
character of the hostname string I guess to make sure it contains valid characters. The inalnum()
function however does not recognize the underscore "_" as valid. However it is valid and should
be allowed.
>How-To-Repeat:
My server is on a classified network...however if you configure a machine to have an underscore
in the name (i.e. my_server.anywhere.com) you should see the problem.
>Fix:
I've tried a couple of things but I haven't found anything that works yet...I tried to add
a line like if(*src == '_') continue; after the check for ":" but that causes an infinite
loop. Maybe we need to add  && *src != '_' to line 676...I'll try that tomorrow.