www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From vsolve apache <vsolve_apa...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: mod_alias/5612: Alias directive does not work within VirtualHost stanzas
Date Fri, 21 Jan 2000 05:10:01 GMT
The following reply was made to PR mod_alias/5612; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: vsolve apache <vsolve_apache@yahoo.com>
To: tom.williams@diversifiedsoftware.com, submit@bugz.apache.org
Cc: apbugs@Apache.Org
Subject: Re: mod_alias/5612: Alias directive does not work within VirtualHost stanzas
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 21:09:40 -0800 (PST)

 Hi,
 Alias directive works fine both in server config and
 Virtualhost context.
 May be you have some problem with the Virtualhost.
 check for the DNS entry for your virtualhosts.

 regards,
 vsolve_apache
 v-solve dot com

 >Number:         5612
 >Category:       mod_alias
 >Synopsis:       Alias directive does not work within
 VirtualHost stanzas
 >Confidential:   no
 >Severity:       non-critical
 >Responsible:    apache
 >State:          open
 >Class:          sw-bug
 >Submitter-Id:   apache
 >Arrival-Date:   Thu Jan 20 14:30:01 PST 2000
 >Closed-Date:
 >Last-Modified:
 >Originator:     tom.williams@diversifiedsoftware.com
 >Release:        1.3.6/1.3.9
 Hi!  I'm trying to use the Apache Alias directive to
 create aliases for directories.  I've tried this on
 Apache 1.3.6 and 1.3.9 with the same results.
 Basically, I have some VirtualHosts defined and in
 each <VirtualHost> section, I want to define some
 aliases for directories.  I specify the Alias
 directive like this:

 NameVirtualHost 192.168.0.1

 <VirtualHost 192.168.0.1>
 ServerName www1.mynet.com
 Alias /docs "/mnt/lan3/dir/docs"
 DocumentRoot "/mnt/lan1/dir"
 </VirtualHost>
 <VirtualHost 192.168.0.2>
 ServerName www2.mynet.com
 DocumentRoot "/mnt/lan2/dir"
 </VirtualHost>

 The above is correct syntax, but it does not give the
 desired results. When I move the Alias directive
 outside (and before) the VirtualHost definitions, it
 works as I want it to work.  Now, according to the
 Apache doc, the Alias directive applies to "server"
 and "virtual host" context.

 Does anyone know why the Alias directive doesn't work
 properly when defined *only* in the VirtualHost
 definition?

 Thanks in advance for your time!

 Peace....

 Tom

 >How-To-Repeat:
 Try browsing the "http://www1.mynet.com/docs" URL with
 the VirtualHost config in the Full Description section
 above.
 >Fix:
 Update the documentation on how to properly use the
 Alias directive with VirtualHost stanzas if this
 problem is actually a configuration problem.