www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Tom Williams <tom.willi...@diversifiedsoftware.com>
Subject mod_alias/5612: Alias directive does not work within VirtualHost stanzas
Date Thu, 20 Jan 2000 22:21:19 GMT

>Number:         5612
>Category:       mod_alias
>Synopsis:       Alias directive does not work within VirtualHost stanzas
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Responsible:    apache
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   apache
>Arrival-Date:   Thu Jan 20 14:30:01 PST 2000
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     tom.williams@diversifiedsoftware.com
>Release:        1.3.6/1.3.9
Hi!  I'm trying to use the Apache Alias directive to create aliases for directories.  I've
tried this on Apache 1.3.6 and 1.3.9 with the same results.  Basically, I have some VirtualHosts
defined and in each <VirtualHost> section, I want to define some aliases for directories.
 I specify the Alias directive like this:

NameVirtualHost 192.168.0.1

<VirtualHost 192.168.0.1>
ServerName www1.mynet.com
Alias /docs "/mnt/lan3/dir/docs"
DocumentRoot "/mnt/lan1/dir"
</VirtualHost>
<VirtualHost 192.168.0.2>
ServerName www2.mynet.com
DocumentRoot "/mnt/lan2/dir"
</VirtualHost>

The above is correct syntax, but it does not give the desired results. When I move the Alias
directive outside (and before) the VirtualHost definitions, it works as I want it to work.
 Now, according to the Apache doc, the Alias directive applies to "server" and "virtual host"
context.

Does anyone know why the Alias directive doesn't work properly when defined *only* in the
VirtualHost definition?

Thanks in advance for your time!

Peace....

Tom

>How-To-Repeat:
Try browsing the "http://www1.mynet.com/docs" URL with the VirtualHost config in the Full
Description section above.
>Fix:
Update the documentation on how to properly use the Alias directive with VirtualHost stanzas
if this problem is actually a configuration problem.