www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Jelle Kok <jm...@p23.dyndns.org>
Subject general/5595: 36 hour IP change AND name based virtual host
Date Sun, 16 Jan 2000 03:17:22 GMT

>Number:         5595
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       36 hour IP change AND name based virtual host
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Responsible:    apache
>State:          open
>Class:          change-request
>Submitter-Id:   apache
>Arrival-Date:   Sat Jan 15 19:20:00 PST 2000
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     jmkok@p23.dyndns.org
>Release:        v1.3.6-7
Every 36 hours we get a new IP adress.
The "NameVirtualHost" is NOT defined with an IP adress because it's a dynamical IP adress
(it's defined as shown below).
We have 3 domain names to be served.

Problem:
At startup Apache makes a DNS lookup of our domain name and finds the IP adress of the internet
connection (ppp0).
Everything works fine (perfect).
Provider gives us new IP adress.
Our 3 domain names get updated.
Apache only serves virual hosts for old IP adress.
>How-To-Repeat:
[/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf]
(only a piece of it)

NameVirtualHost p23.dyndns.org

<VirtualHost server>
	ServerName server
	DocumentRoot /home/httpd/html
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost p23.dyndns.org>
	ServerName p23.dyndns.org
	DocumentRoot /home/httpd/html/p23/
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost youcom.dyndns.org>
	ServerName youcom.dyndns.org
	DocumentRoot /home/httpd/html/youcom/
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost kentaur.dyndns.org>
	ServerName kentaur.dyndns.org
	ServerAlias kentaur.myip.org
	DocumentRoot /home/httpd/html/kentaur/
</VirtualHost>
>Fix:
Can the "NameVirtualHost" have an extra setting it looks at a mask of addresses, or maybe
even better a device (/dev/ppp0).
Or can it only be in virtual mode with a default server (= no definition of servername in
main part of file).

say:
NameVirtualHost 130.161.33.15/255.255.0.0
NameVirtualHost /dev/ppp0
NameVirtualHost *
OnlyVirtualHosts On