www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From vsolve apache <vsolve_apa...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: config/5581: Virtual hosts never work at all, you only get the main page.
Date Fri, 14 Jan 2000 12:00:00 GMT
The following reply was made to PR config/5581; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: vsolve apache <vsolve_apache@yahoo.com>
To: hacksaw@hacksaw.org, submit@bugz.apache.org
Cc: apbugs@Apache.Org
Subject: Re: config/5581: Virtual hosts never work at all, you only get the main page.
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 03:54:21 -0800 (PST)

 I have 1 A name and 2 CNAME's for my box. Internally
 the box is named as a node in a subdomain from one of
 the CNAME's.
 (habitrail.home.fools-errant.com)
 Note that www.fools-errant.com actually resolves
 someplace else. However, removing that virtual host
 and restarting changed nothing.

 I set up name virtual hosts in the config file. The
 config file is the vanilla file supplied by RedHat, I
 added:

 NameVirtualHost 216.41.5.170

 <VirtualHost 216.41.5.170>
 ServerAdmin webmaster@www.hacksaw.org
 DocumentRoot /home/httpd/html/hacksaw
 ServerName hacksaw.org
 ServerAlias *.hacksaw.org
 ErrorLog logs/error-log.hacksaw.org
 TransferLog logs/access-log.hacksaw.org
 </VirtualHost>

 <VirtualHost 216.41.5.170>
 ServerAdmin webmaster@www.privatecircus.com
 DocumentRoot /home/httpd/html/privatecircus
 ServerName privatecircus.com
 ServerAlias *.privatecircus.org
 ErrorLog logs/error-log.privatecircus.org
 TransferLog logs/access-log.privatecircus.org
 </VirtualHost>

 <VirtualHost 216.41.5.170>
 ServerAdmin webmaster@www.fools-errant.com
 DocumentRoot /home/httpd/html/fools-errant
 ServerName fools-errant.com
 ServerAlias *.fools-errant.com
 ErrorLog logs/error-log.fools-errant.com
 TransferLog logs/access-log.fools-errant.com
 </VirtualHost>
 >---------------------

 In given conf entry

 ServerName privatecircus.com  -- 2 octets address
 ServerAlias *.privatecircus.org --  3 octets address

 Make the both entry in equal number of octets address
 and do the correction in Domain Name Server A & CNAME
 entry.
 Or

 modify the ServerAlias entries like

 ServerAlias hacksaw.org *.hacksaw.org

 Sample DNS and httpd.conf entry as follows:

 DNS entry :

 xxx  IN A 216.41.5.170

 x1 IN CNAME xxx
 x2 IN CNAME xxx

 Httpd.conf entry:

 NameVirtualHost 172.16.1.101

 <VirtualHost 172.16.1.101>
 ServerAdmin ZZZ@mail.kovaiteam.com
 ServerName x1.kovaiteam.com
 DocumentRoot /usr/local/apache/htdocs
 </VirtualHost>

 <VirtualHost 172.16.1.101>
 ServerAdmin yyy@mail.kovaiteam.com
 ServerName x2.kovaiteam.com
 DocumentRoot /usr/local/JSDT-2.0/ViConnect
 </VirtualHost>

 With above changes here it is working fine.

 regards,
 Vsolve_apache
 ViSolve dot com