www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From David Linscott <da...@StarFire.com>
Subject os-linux/5568: wrong virtual host page responds
Date Tue, 11 Jan 2000 18:08:37 GMT

>Number:         5568
>Category:       os-linux
>Synopsis:       wrong virtual host page responds
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Responsible:    apache
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   apache
>Arrival-Date:   Tue Jan 11 10:10:00 PST 2000
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     david@StarFire.com
>Release:        1.3.6
>Environment:
RedHat Linux 6.0
Apache Server 1.3.6 'out of box' build (no compiler used locally)

(also trying RedHat 6.1 with 'out of box' Apache 1.3.9)
Three virtual hosts on one Linux server: one on port 80, another on 8000, another on 8001.
Port 8000 and 8001 pages password protected.
Browsing GENERALLY works, but SOMETIMES browsing to the port 8000 page returns the port 80
page.
The port 80 page is for 'external' viewing while the port 8000 page is for 'internal' company
use. Internal users use the port 8000 page as home and SOMETIMES get the port 80 page when
opening the browser.
(I think) we've seen this inconsistent behavior from both MS Explorer 5.x and Netscape.
This problem has lasted from seconds to hours. Eventually a retry (generally closing the browser
and reopening) returns the correct page. Meanwhile, other users may be viewing all pages fine.
>How-To-Repeat:
configure virtual hosts on separate ports .. maybe one on port 80 ..
using the RedHat Linux 6.0 default Apache Server.
Set home page to the non-80 port and open a browser repeatedly.
Be patient .. did not see the problem for the first 3 weeks of running the pages. (only changes
to HTML files were made in that time)
>Fix:
sorry.
(too unpredictable to recreate consistently)