www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Philippe Michel <mic...@syseca.fr>
Subject os-hpux/5566: Using apachectl as rc script displays garbage
Date Tue, 11 Jan 2000 14:27:44 GMT

>Number:         5566
>Category:       os-hpux
>Synopsis:       Using apachectl as rc script displays garbage
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Responsible:    apache
>State:          open
>Class:          change-request
>Submitter-Id:   apache
>Arrival-Date:   Tue Jan 11 06:30:00 PST 2000
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     michel@syseca.fr
>Release:        1.3.9
Using apachectl as a startup script (with a link from /sbin/rc3.d/S99apache
to /usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl for instance) on HP-UX displays garbage at
boot and shutdown.

HP-UX startup an shutdown scripts use "<rc script> start_msg" and
"<rc script> stop_msg" to create a fancy display of starting and stopping
daemons. Doing this with apachectl displays the usage error message instead.

Of course, maybe we should use an intermediate rc script rather than messing
with apachectl to work around such OS peculiarities...
>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:
The following patch or something similar should do.

*** apachectl.orig      Tue Apr  6 22:36:33 1999
--- apachectl   Tue Jan 11 14:30:46 2000
***************
*** 148,153 ****
--- 148,160 ----
            ERROR=8
        fi
        ;;
+ # When used as an HP-UX rc script -- cosmetic only
+     start_msg)
+         echo "Starting Apache http server"
+     stop_msg)
+         echo "Stopping Apache http server"
      *)
        echo "usage: $0 (start|stop|restart|fullstatus|status|graceful|configtes
t|help)"
        cat <<EOF