www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Urban Johansson <urban.johans...@nb.se>
Subject mod_proxy/5562: Ftp dataconnections does not close correctly with wu-ftp 2.6.0(1)
Date Mon, 10 Jan 2000 12:05:07 GMT

>Number:         5562
>Category:       mod_proxy
>Synopsis:       Ftp dataconnections does not close correctly with wu-ftp 2.6.0(1)
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
>Responsible:    apache
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   apache
>Arrival-Date:   Mon Jan 10 04:10:00 PST 2000
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     urban.johansson@nb.se
>Release:        1.3.9
When using ftp PASV through apache mod_proxy the dataconnection does not
close correctly. The wu-ftp server sends a FIN after the data is transferred
which apache is ACK-ing, but apache is not sending a FIN instead it sends
a ACK and hangs for 5 min.

The result from that is:
In netscape browser you get the directory contents but the session does
not terminate, I can download files.
In Internet Explorer I can NOT download files, the connection
times out, even tough all data is tranfered it does not save the file.
The apache proxy server does not log the transferres, since it timeouts.
wu-ftp has done some changes in 2.6.0.
http://www.wu-ftpd.org/broken-clients.html
wu-ftp is used by many major companies and we find this to be a problem.
In earlier versions of wu-ftp this is not a problem.
>How-To-Repeat:
This sites are currently using wu-ftp 2.6.0 (1):
ftp.sunet.se
ftp.ibm.pc.com
ftp.3com.com
ftp.wu-ftpd.org