www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Boris Strokopytov <stro...@bioc.aecom.yu.edu>
Subject general/5553: Severe memory leaks on Apache 1.3.6.
Date Fri, 07 Jan 2000 03:17:15 GMT

>Number:         5553
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       Severe memory leaks on Apache 1.3.6.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
>Responsible:    apache
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   apache
>Arrival-Date:   Thu Jan 06 19:20:00 PST 2000
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     strokop@bioc.aecom.yu.edu
>Release:        1.3.6
>Environment:
 Red Hat Linux 6.0 (Hedwig) Kernel 2.2.5-15smp on an i686.
 Compiler gcc egcs-2.91.66.

   The problem is that when I access my website at www.aecom.yu.edu/xray
I noticed that almost after each HTML page retrieval my free memmory
reduces in size dramtically. On the order of 8-200Kb per one page.
I am just developing this web site and though we have a huge memory
about 1GB it shrinks rather rapidaly though almost nobody uses this site
at the moment. I am scared. Apache server was installed by Dell in its default
configuration. I changed certain things in the configuration files but everything works really
smoothly except this memory leak problem. I planned
to give opportunity to other people to run programs which require 300-400 M
of memory. But because of this terrible memory leak I may run into severe
trouble. I am loosing memory with a spread of 3-6/megabytes per day though
the machine is almost empty. I cannot say for sure that is Apache's problem
but when your memory disappears after each browser click you maybe convinced too.
I don't see any errors in the /etc/httpd/logs/error_log file. Nothing.
>How-To-Repeat:
Well it's easy. You just type
   telnet bertrand.bioc.aecom.yu.edu
   user   strokop
   password m$scow1

   and then use

free, top

 or whatever and see how memory dissapears after
each browser click on my site. Sometimes as much as 100-200 KB disappears at once. Amazing!
Unbelievable!
>Fix:
No idea! I am just scared. I do some scientific Fortran programming and know to some extent
other languages (Perl, Javascript). In my opinion it's something
very wrong with Apache 1.3.6 or libraries it is using.