www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Federico Giannici <giann...@neomedia.it>
Subject general/5549: ErrorLog syslog should set facility for every logging
Date Thu, 06 Jan 2000 15:57:45 GMT

>Number:         5549
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       ErrorLog syslog should set facility for every logging
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Responsible:    apache
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   apache
>Arrival-Date:   Thu Jan 06 08:00:01 PST 2000
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     giannici@neomedia.it
>Release:        1.3
As you know, ErrorLog could be used to make Apche log its errors to a given
syslog facility.

The problem is that if some module also uses syslog for it logging needs
and sets a different facility, then all subsequent Apache errors are logged
to the last facility  instead of using the facility set by user with ErrorLog.
>How-To-Repeat:
I found this problem when I used a PHP script that uses the syslog
functionality of PHP, and I found it also in a RADIUS authentication module
I wrote that uses syslog to log its errors.
>Fix:
The solution is simple: the facility set with ErrorLog should be reset every
time Apache have to log an error message, instead of setting it only at server
startup time.