www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Jonathan Quist <...@att.com>
Subject os-aix/5531: install-bindist.sh installation script clobbers original httpd.conf file.
Date Mon, 03 Jan 2000 16:50:30 GMT

>Number:         5531
>Category:       os-aix
>Synopsis:       install-bindist.sh installation script clobbers original httpd.conf file.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
The install-bindist.sh installation script bundled with Apache 1.3.9 for AIX
carefully preserves the original conf/httpd.conf file, then even more
carefully clobbers it when editing the install path in httpd.conf.default.

See install-bindist.sh, line 100.
>How-To-Repeat:
install Apache in the standard location.  Add a custom entry to conf/httpd.conf.
Re-install Apache using install-bindist.sh.  The install script will indicate
that the config files were preserved, but the custom entry will be gone.
>Fix:
The offending sed script in install-bindist.sh, line 100, replaces instances
of "/usr/local/apache" with the local install path.  Move this command
to the if-then-else that preserves the config files, after
the "lcopy bindist/conf ..." command (line 87 in my copy).  This will
fix the install path in httpd.conf only if httpd.conf is actually installed.
We can assume that if it already exists, it has been fixed.  If it hasn't,
the sysadmin deserves what he gets... :')