www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Mike LaRocca <laro...@fore.com>
Subject mod_jserv/5454: ServletResponse.sendError() not implemented to spec
Date Fri, 10 Dec 1999 20:03:37 GMT

>Number:         5454
>Category:       mod_jserv
>Synopsis:       ServletResponse.sendError() not implemented to spec
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
JSDK 2.0 for method sendError of ServletResponse says;

public abstract void sendError(int sc,
                                String msg) throws IOException

     Sends an error response to the client using the specified status code and descriptive
message. If setStatus has previously been
     called, it is reset to the error status code. The message is sent as the body of an HTML
page, which is returned to the user to
     describe the problem. The page is sent with a default HTML header; the message is enclosed
in simple body tags
     (<body></body>).

But I found that the string specified by 'msg' is not passed to the client.
>How-To-Repeat:
import javax.servlet.*;

public class Test extends HttpServlet {
    public void service (HttpServletRequest request,
                         HttpServletResponse response)
        throws ServletException, IOException {

        response.sendError(900, "What's going on?");
}
>Fix:
I realize this may be a JSDK error but if not I'd like to see actions of the API to be implemented
as specified.  In particular I think it would be
useful to only display the 'msg' string when the error doesn't map to on of the official HTTP
error codes otherwise display the standard error name name and
text.