www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Grace Katagiri <katag...@econ.berkeley.edu>
Subject config/5415: I am trying to test the apache server in a local account, and am encountering fatal errors at the "make" stage.
Date Fri, 03 Dec 1999 19:55:06 GMT

>Number:         5415
>Category:       config
>Synopsis:       I am trying to test the apache server in a local account, and am encountering
fatal errors at the "make" stage.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
I download the binary for 1.3.9, gunzipped and untared it, read the
documentation, and checked my configuration with the ./configure --prefix=PREFIX --layout
command.
So far so good.  I then did:

%  ./configure --prefix=/accounts/projects3/ivlab/ivlab/www

and did fine.  Then I did:

%  make

and got a lot of warnings and parse errors, which I ignored.  However,
at the very bottom, I got Error Code 1 Fatal errors for failed targets:
os.o, subdirs, build-std, and build.

I was going to email you the stdout from these commands, but I'm working
at a pc using an x-windows emulation program to my Sun workstation, so
I haven't figure out how to copy and paste from the unix window into this
web form.  Sorry about that!

Note that I am not a sysadmin type.  I am working on a project that will
ultimately be web-based, and during our developmental stage I would like
to be able to run the apache server locally on my workstation, so I can
start and stop it as needed.  So I do not believe that I am capable of
compiling the server software from the source, which is the other method
open to me.

I do have local sysadmin support for our production web server, but I
want to learn how to do this myself, so I am making an attempt not to
ask my sysadmins for help, as I will only learn by doing it the hard way.
That's why I am asking you for suggestions about why this autoconfig
procedure would not work for me.  Hope you don't mind; and thanks!

Grace Katagiri
Econometrics Laboratory
University of California, Berkeley
510-642-8724 or 510-643-1935