www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From "William Colburn \(aka Schlake\)" <wcolb...@nmt.edu>
Subject Re: general/5404: Apache seems to back-search bad URLS until it finds a good one, and returns it. This breaks things, such as my htdig search engine
Date Wed, 01 Dec 1999 20:00:04 GMT
The following reply was made to PR general/5404; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "William Colburn (aka Schlake)" <wcolburn@nmt.edu>
To: marc@apache.org
Cc: apbugs@apache.org
Subject: Re: general/5404: Apache seems to back-search bad URLS until it finds a good one,
and returns it.  This breaks things, such as my htdig search engine
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 12:57:36 -0700

 On Wed, Dec 01, 1999 at 05:04:58PM -0000, marc@apache.org wrote:
 > Synopsis: Apache seems to back-search bad URLS until it finds a good one, and returns
it.  This breaks things, such as my htdig search engine

 > State-Changed-From-To: open-closed
 > State-Changed-By: marc
 > State-Changed-When: Wed Dec  1 09:04:56 PST 1999
 > State-Changed-Why:
 > That is the correct behaviour.  When SSIs are enabled, this is a feature
 > that allows SSIs to use PATH_INFO to do different things.

 I forwarded this to the htdig developers, and I agree with their
 response that apache seems to be doing the wrong thing here.  If SSI's
 are turned on, and someone accidentally puts a / after an html document
 then all of a sudden all the relative URLs in that document are broken.

 Here is the response (snipped) from one of the htdig people back to me:

 --
 William Colburn, "Sysprog" <wcolburn@nmt.edu>
 Computer Center, New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology