www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Fabien COELHO <coe...@cri.ensmp.fr>
Subject suexec/5381: suexec-ution failure reports in error_log and responses are unclear
Date Sat, 27 Nov 1999 10:00:21 GMT

>Number:         5381
>Category:       suexec
>Synopsis:       suexec-ution failure reports in error_log and responses are unclear
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
When suexecution of a cgi fails, the error reported to error_log
and in the responses are quite unclear. A clearer message would help
to focus on this issue more quickly. Especially for students which
are new to cgi programming.

error_log gets a "premature end of script headers" and
the response shows "internal server error please report to your sys admin".

I guess suexec-condition failures could be reported more clearly to both
error_log and in the internal error page sent back to the user.
>How-To-Repeat:
just use suexec without respecting one of the many required conditions.
e.g.: writable executable or directory, and so on.
>Fix:
Yes, improve a little bit error_log and generated responses.
This may involve having a convention between suexec and apache
to report the error, whether from suexec condition or from the
cgi program. e.g. suexec could always print out one char to the
server, telling 'condition failed' or 'cgi launched'. Or some
status number could be used for this (but what if the same is
used by the cgi program). Anyway, the problem can be solved.