www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Tom Roby <me...@seki.mcs.csuhayward.edu>
Subject documentation/5367: Documentation should mention explicitely need to use Port 80 instead of 8080
Date Thu, 25 Nov 1999 18:08:01 GMT

>Number:         5367
>Category:       documentation
>Synopsis:       Documentation should mention explicitely need to use Port 80 instead of
8080
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
I was able to install apache 1.2 in less than half an hour.  It worked out of
the box with no problem.  I expected the same from 1.3.6, but instead spent
a frustrating few hours trying to figure out what in the configuration file I
needed to change in order for the server to respond to requests.  I added
apache as a package from Steve Christianson's sunfreeware.com site, it seemed
to start up fine, but no connections were accepted.

The problem was that the new default Port is 8080 instead of 80.  Now this may
be an improvement for reasons I could guess at (someone nonroot wanting to
install, a new convention on among webservers..), but it would be helpful if
this difference could be highlighted, since at least in my situation it made
the difference between success and failure.  As soon as I changed the Port to
80, everything worked as before.

I've searched the documentation again, and can't find an FAQ or anything that
even mentions this difference.  I still don't know what causes it--perhaps
Solaris 7 considers it a security hole to allow people to have their own web
servers up?

So the proposed fix would be to add a comment in the httpd.conf file, and
something explicit in the install information about the need to use Port 80
(on some systems, perhaps).

Thanks for your consideration, and for making such a fine freeware product.

					Tom

>How-To-Repeat:
Try installing apache on Solaris 7 with Port 8080 in the conf. file.  If that
works, than maybe there's a problem with the package Steve put together...
>Fix:
See above.