www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Oren Ben-Kiki <o...@capella.co.il>
Subject mod_jserv/5364: Default value for wrapper.env.copy is not useful; error logging is incomplete.
Date Thu, 25 Nov 1999 12:43:59 GMT

>Number:         5364
>Category:       mod_jserv
>Synopsis:       Default value for wrapper.env.copy is not useful; error logging is incomplete.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Release:        apache-1.3.6-7.i386.rpm + ApacheJServ-1.1-b2_RH6x.i386.rpm
>Environment:
RedHat 6.0
jdk-1.1.5-5.i386.rpm

There are later versions of the jdk (and jserv, for that matter); the above were the most
updated we could find which came in RPM format, and were "well behaved" - we found a jdk 1.1.7
RPM which did not provide /etc/profile.d/jdk.* files, and decided to stick with 1.1.5. Our
goal was finding the easiest possible Apache/JServ installation for RedHat.
Using the above combination, JServ refused to work unless we changed wrapper.env.copy to JAVA_HOME.
It turns out (pretty reasonably) that without this environment variable, the java environment
can not locate required files and fails.

To complicate matters, the mod_jserv.log file did not contain the error report from running
the 'java' program, even when reporting was set to the most detailed level. It therefore took
us a while to pinpoint the problem.
>How-To-Repeat:
Install the following RPMs on a clean RedHat 6.0 machine:

apache-1.3.6-7.i386.rpm
jdk-1.1.5-5.i386.rpm
ApacheJServ-1.1-b2_RH6x.i386.rpm

Do not touch any configuration file. Try jserv, as in http://localhost/jserv/ or http://localhost/servlet/IsItWorking;
it will not run. Try increasing the level of detail of the error messages - you'll not get
the error message printed by the "java" program. The clue that it is the problematic point
is that the JVM keeps getting respawned, and that Apache fails to connect to the jserv server;
 (these are reported in the log file). Given this, it is easy to conclude that the 'java'
command is failing, but not why. Running it manually works, since the default environment
is correct (the jdk installation places it in /etc/profile.d/jdk.[c]sh). Adding wrapper.env.copy=JAVA_HOME
in jserv.properties and restarting the server solves the problem.
>Fix:
The default wrapper.env.copy value for UNIX should be changed from "NONE" to "JAVA_HOME".
It might be that other environment variables are used for other jdk/jre/java installations
(e.g., JDK_HOME or JRE_HOME), in which case they should also be included.

Additionally, the mod_jserv.log file should contain (at least at the "debug" level) the standard
output/standard error of running the java command. If this data were available, we'd have
located the problem in seconds; as it were it took us a few hours.

Finally, a note in the documentation mentioning this problem would be helpful for platforms
where there are other required environment variables.