www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Eric Fisher <fis...@osiriscomm.com>
Subject Re: general/5336: Apache process hangs, and parent will not die.
Date Thu, 18 Nov 1999 21:20:02 GMT
The following reply was made to PR general/5336; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Eric Fisher <fisher@osiriscomm.com>
To: Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
Cc: Apache bugs database <apbugs@apache.org>
Subject: Re: general/5336: Apache process hangs, and parent will not die.
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 13:14:00 -0800 (PST)

 On Thu, 18 Nov 1999, Marc Slemko wrote:

 > On Thu, 18 Nov 1999, Eric Fisher wrote:
 >
 > > I think I was a little mistaken.  Actually, it seems that in most cases
 > > the parent dies.  Its the children that won't die.
 >
 > Are you using NFS?

 Yes, but we are only serving NFS, there are no NFS mounts on this server

 > So are you saying you can't kill the children, even with a kill -9?

 Correct, kill -9 does nothing to the children.  They just hang there until
 a reboot.

 > > Also, we've already tried this same configureation using linux 2.2.12.
 > > We originally had this problem with 2.2.12, thats why we upgraded.
 >
 > Interesting.  You may want to try going back further.

 hmm...possibly.

 > > Have you heard of any similar problems like this with people trying to use
 > > the 2.2.x kernel?
 >
 > Many.
 >
 > I have seen a half dozen reports over the past two months of behaviour
 > similar to yours.  While there have been cases in the past when such
 > things have been tracked down to problems in Apache, they have been
 > rare.  This sudden splurge of bug reports has also only started very
 > recently, and they all have the common denominator of running a recent
 > 2.2.x kernel.
 >
 > I don't know how flexible you are or what other factors you have to take
 > into consideration, but I would strongly suggest trying moving to a
 > different kernel.  What different kernel?  Good question.  Maybe an early
 > 2.2 one, maybe a 2.1 one, maybe all the way back to the current 2.0 one.
 > Unfortunately I can't really make much in the way of recommendations
 > there.

 Ouch...I'd hope that we would have to go back to a pre 2.2 kernel.

 > You could, just for something to do, try disabling SMP.

 If it does seem to be a problem in the kernel, do you have any ideas as
 who to contact next?  We'll give the SMP thing a try.  Maybe it'll work.
 I'll let you know.

 -Eric