www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Rainer Scherg <rainer.sch...@rexroth.de>
Subject mod_negotiation/5334: Environment variable containing MULTIVIEWS data...
Date Thu, 18 Nov 1999 14:16:18 GMT

>Number:         5334
>Category:       mod_negotiation
>Synopsis:       Environment variable containing MULTIVIEWS data...
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
Problem:
 We are using Multiviews to provide different languages per information pages
 (html / cgi).

 If a cgi program wants to determine which variants of itsself are available,
 it has to scan the directory for this. This should not be necessary, because
 apache has done this already. It's just a loss of performance.

 Apache could easily export the result of the multiviews search into an
 apropriate environment variable to prevent this:
   e.g.: SCRIPT_AVAILABLE_LANGUAGE=en,de,fr
     or: MULTIVIEWS_AVAILABLE_LANGUAGE=en,de,fr

 The variable could contain the Lang-MIME types for the found languages...

 This feature could also be very usefull in SSI and handlers.

Are there any changes to get this feature into apache?
If yes, I would like to review the code for the necessary changes...

tnx in advance, cu -- rainer

BTW: PR#3760 was IMO accidently closed...
     I got a feedback by Ken Coar, asking some questions concerning this
     matter.