www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Wechsung@hyperreal.org, Ingo ...@contexo.com>
Subject general/5316: PUT method reports 405 "Method not allowed", altough it is 501 "Not supported"
Date Mon, 15 Nov 1999 14:35:30 GMT

>Number:         5316
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       PUT method reports 405 "Method not allowed", altough it is 501 "Not supported"
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
I tried to use the PUT method and kept getting "405 Method not allowed".
As RFC 2616 says, the 405 error code indicates that the
method is not allowed for the requested object only, so I tried to figure out
what I had done wrong in the httpd.conf, file permissions and all that.
I also checked the manual. Not one word about unsupported methods.
Only after looking at the source code, it turned out that PUT is not supported
at all. The server should have told me that with error code
"501 Not supported". This would have saved me some 2 days or so.
>How-To-Repeat:
telnet loopback 80
PUT /this.html HTTP/1.1

<HTML></HTML>
>Fix:
- Return 501 error code instead 405 on unsupported methods
- document which methods are supported and hence are configurable
and which are not