www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Edward Boas <b...@stanford.edu>
Subject general/5306: C++ CGI hangs on system call (but worked correctly under OmniHTTPd 1.01)
Date Sun, 14 Nov 1999 12:07:10 GMT

>Number:         5306
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       C++ CGI hangs on system call (but worked correctly under OmniHTTPd 1.01)
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
I'm have problems running one particular CGI script that ran fine on the
OmniHTTPd 1.01 web server (http://www.omnicron.ab.ca/).

The script is a 32-bit command line exe compiled by Microsoft Visual C++
version 6.0, and the problem occurs only when the script calls the "system"
function (to run "dir /b > tmpfile", for instance).  The problems are:

1.  System call pops up a separate "COMMAND.COM" window, and also grinds
the floppy drive (which wastes a whole lot of time), which the script
didn't do when run by OmniHTTPd.

2.  After about four separate system calls in a single run of the script
(which run successfully and generate the expected HTML code), the script
hangs at an additional system call (another directory listing, just run
on a separate directory), leaving the web browser hanging with the HTML
generated up to that point.  The web server does not log any errors.

>How-To-Repeat:
The following sample demonstrates some of these errors.  With the system call,
the script hangs without returning any output.  Comment out that line, and
it works as expected.

#include <stdio.h>
#include <process.h>

int main(void) {
  printf("Content-type: text/html\n\n");
  printf("<html><body><h1>Testing ...</h1></body></html>\n");
  fflush(stdout);
  system("dir /b > tmpfile.tmp");
  return 0;
}