www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Zachary Williams <...@ztnet.com>
Subject os-linux/5288: Apache stops responding to incoming requests, until it is forcefully restarted.
Date Thu, 11 Nov 1999 04:02:36 GMT

>Number:         5288
>Category:       os-linux
>Synopsis:       Apache stops responding to incoming requests, until it is forcefully restarted.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
We are rnning a webserver, processing roughly 3.5 million requests per day.  We have it setup
in a hardware failover enviornment using a Foundry Networks ServerIron.  Apache will stop
responding to requests, so the ServerIron will pull it out of production, and switch to the
failover.  However, http will never respond again, until I FORCE the iron to send it requests
(then it will come back in about 30 seconds to a couple of minutes) OR I must killall httpd.
 killing it with -HUP will NOT correct the problem.
>How-To-Repeat:
We invite any people willing to look seriously at this problem, to mail us at lev@ztnet.com.
 We will provide any needed information to determine if it is indeed an apache issue, and
to see it resolved!  We are in the process of setting up a full load-balancing solution, however
if apache fails to respond and is pulled out of the active server loop, even though the box
is healthy, it will obviously not function correctly!
>Fix:
None