www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Reutter Michael ...@workmail.com>
Subject config/5282: Design Bug in "Options Indexes"
Date Wed, 10 Nov 1999 14:33:35 GMT

>Number:         5282
>Category:       config
>Synopsis:       Design Bug in "Options Indexes"
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
Generally Directives:
---
<Directory />
    Options FollowSymLinks
    AllowOverride None
</Directory>
---

Users' configuration:
---
<Directory /home/*/public_html>
    Options SymLinksIfOwnerMatch
</Directory>
---

I want apache not making Directory Listings generally
("Options -Indexes" - not explicitly written)!
But, I want the users to decide in their directories whether a listing is
to be done or not; by using ".htaccess"!
The Problem is:
I can do
<Directory /home/*/public_html>
    AllowOverride Options
</Directory>
so the users can put the line
"Options Indexes" in their .htaccess.
But then the users also can do a "Options All"
(Includes,FollowSymLinks,ExecCGI...) - what I really don't want!!

I think it is a design bug!
There should be something like "AllowOverride GenerateIndex"!

regards
Michael
>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix: