www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From markus pilzecker ...@dfki.de>
Subject general/5281: Proposal for pid file naming, which enables multiple apache instances
Date Wed, 10 Nov 1999 13:21:42 GMT

>Number:         5281
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       Proposal for pid file naming, which enables multiple apache instances
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
in a non-root working environment, where more than one user
may be willing to run a private instance of apache on one
machine, the current default pid file naming leads to clashes.
>How-To-Repeat:
On one and the same machine start two instances of apache
$ httpd -f <httpd:8000.conf>
$ httpd -f <httpd:8001.conf>
, where both config files contain the line with the ``PidFile''
directive unchange from the default.

You will experience, that one apache instance overwrites the PidFile of the
other instance /*last one wins*/.

>Fix:
I suggest to replace the PidFile directive in httpd.conf by
the [new] default

# PidFile: The file the server for Port 80 should log its pid to
PidFile /var/run/httpd:80.pid

.  I think, this would give thinking of any non-root apache
configurer the right direction.

Since for every machine, there cannot be more than one webserver
instance per port, this naming scheme should be unique.