www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From markus pilzecker ...@dfki.de>
Subject general/5280: binary installation no more relocatable with --enable-rule=SHARED_CORE
Date Wed, 10 Nov 1999 13:05:44 GMT

>Number:         5280
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       binary installation no more relocatable with --enable-rule=SHARED_CORE
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
if I

  ``place the Apache core code (all the stuff which usually forms the httpd
  binary) into a DSO libhttpd.so, an executable program libhttpd.ep
  and a bootstrapping executable program httpd''

with

  $ ./configure --prefix=</path/to/install> --enable-rule=SHARED_CORE ...

, I get an executable, with the path to libhttpd.ep being hardcoded to
</path/to/install>/lib/.

This is highly undesirable, because it makes it impossible to build
relocatable [e.g.] binary RPM packages for such an apache.

>How-To-Repeat:
$ ./configure --prefix=</path/to/install> --enable-rule=SHARED_CORE ...
$ make
$ make install root=</tmp/apache.install_root>
$ mv /tmp/apache.install_root /tmp/apache.work_root
$ /tmp/apache.work_root/usr/sbin/httpd -f <your_config_file>
>Fix:
The problem might be solved, if we used the same strategies to find
libhttpd.ep as are used to find any lib*.so /*searching through
$LD_LIBRARY_PATH, ...*/.

A related question is: "if ``libhttpd.ep'' contains anything, which is
obviously reused outside apache itself, why then isn't it a DSO like any
other on my system?"