www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Matt Hoskins <m...@nipltd.com>
Subject mod_proxy/5237: Like PR #659, logging of response headers using mod_log_config from requests handled by mod_proxy isn't possible.
Date Wed, 03 Nov 1999 10:58:38 GMT

>Number:         5237
>Category:       mod_proxy
>Synopsis:       Like PR #659, logging of response headers using mod_log_config from requests
handled by mod_proxy isn't possible.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
mod_proxy builds up its own list of response headers in resp_hdrs, which it
then sends using an ap_table_do and ap_proxy_send_hdr_line. I've previously
reported that this means you can't use mod_headers/mod_usertrack to add response
headers to a proxied request. I've now noticed this means you don't get correct
behaviour when using %{}o format arguments in mod_log_config with proxied
requests, because of course these log from r->headers_out, which doesn't contain
any of the response headers which mod_proxy gets from the downstream server.
There is a hack in mod_log_config to output r->content_type if you ask for
%{Content-Type}o instead of the value from r->headers_out. This means that
for proxied requests you get output the value from r->content_type logged which
is set based on what mod_mime works out as the content-type based on the url
extension, and not what is returned as a header by the downstream server
(hence the behaviour in PR #659 I believe, tho' it was claimed to be fixed in
that PR).
>How-To-Repeat:
Log any output header, especially Content-Type, in mod_log_config for proxied
requests, and note that the values are not taken from headers returned by
the downstream server, but from any values previous apache modules may have
set.
>Fix:
I think content-type is probably the main output header that people would be
interested in logging for requests, so I would suggest that in proxy_http.c you
set r->content_type based on any Content-Type header returned by the downstream
server. Another possibility is to add (in addition to the prior step) all the
response headers to r->headers_out (with headers in resp_hdrs overwriting any
matching headers in r->headers_out). If this was done, it'd be nice to then
output r->headers_out instead of resp_hdrs to the client, to allow modification
of response headers for proxied requests by any prior modules.
overrides any headers in r->headers_out.