www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Marcus Doemling <mar...@hotprize.com>
Subject mod_perl/5221: server doesn't start up, problem seems related to PerlRequire
Date Fri, 29 Oct 1999 22:03:46 GMT

>Number:         5221
>Category:       mod_perl
>Synopsis:       server doesn't start up, problem seems related to PerlRequire
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
I upgraded from Apache/1.3.6 (Unix) mod_perl/1.19 to
Apache/1.3.9 (Unix) mod_perl/1.21. I installed mod_perl
and Apache the same way as the previous version.
mod_perl is linked with DSO.

Now the server doesn't start up. It does not give me ANY
error message, not on the command prompt and not in the
log files. When using 'apachectl start' it says
'apachectl start: httpd started', but it didn't start.
I finally got it to start by removing a
PerlRequire statement from httpd.conf. Then I found
that it also starts with PerlRequire when the required
file doesn't contain any 'use MODULE' statements.

Also I recompiled apache 1.3.9 with the previous
mod_perl I had (1.19) which did not change any of the
behaviour. So I conclude that the problem is somewhere
in apache.

The Perl-required script works fine with the previous
apache version.
>How-To-Repeat:
Here's how I compiled:
           $ cd mod_perl-1.21
           $ perl Makefile.PL \
               APACHE_SRC=/usr/lib/apache_1.3.9/src \
               DO_HTTPD=1 \
               USE_APACI=1 \
               PREP_HTTPD=1 \
               EVERYTHING=1

           $ make
           $ make test
           $ make install

and then

    $ cd apache_1.3.9
    $ ./configure \
         --prefix=/usr/lib/apache_1.3.9_bin \
         --activate-module=src/modules/perl/libperl.a \
         --enable-shared=perl \
         --enable-module=most \
         --enable-shared=max
    $ make