www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Andrew Daniel <and...@digispe.com>
Subject os-windows/5191: Apache fails to respond to HTTP request.
Date Sun, 24 Oct 1999 06:55:23 GMT

>Number:         5191
>Category:       os-windows
>Synopsis:       Apache fails to respond to HTTP request.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
>Priority:       medium
>Responsible:    apache
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   apache
>Arrival-Date:   Sun Oct 24 02:10:02 PDT 1999
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     andrew@digispe.com
>Organization:
apache
>Release:        1.3.9
>Environment:
WinNT4.0 SP5 - AMD K-6 200mhz - 64 Megs RAM - 1.2Gig (100 megs free)
Apache 1.3.9
>Description:
After a few hours of operation, Apache 1.3.9 fails to respond to HTTP request,
IE: Netscape error msg, "Server fails to respond".  This occurs even though
Apache is still running as a service.  Shutting down the service and restarting
the service is a fix, until that launch also serves for a few hours then quits.

I have some CGIs running, a Perl counter and a few VB .exe CGIs (Written with
VB4CGI modual).  However, the execution of the CGIs is not frequent in that
time frame!

I have used WebSite Pro until I could get NT and Apache back on the server,
and have only seen a max of 8 or 10 concurrent connections.

Here are some of the directives in my httpd.conf:
KeepAlive On
MaxKeepAliveRequests 100
KeepAliveTimeout 15
MaxRequestsPerChild 0
ThreadsPerChild 20
listen 204.117.8.66:80
MaxSpareServers 25
MinSpareServers 5

I had the same problem with Win98 and 1.3.6, so I had to switch
to WebSite Pro (Yuch!) until I could get 1.3.9 and NT going 
agian, hoping that 1.3.9 had resolved the issue (A previous
PR was submitted on that).

Basically, none of the directive have been changed from what
I had used in versions all the way back to 1.3b6, and had
no problems such as this before.  Im lost.

No others services are effected during the operation,
such as mail server or FTPd, only HTTPd.  Connection
to the Internet is still live, and can browse other
sites not hosted on this server.  DNSd is also
running fine, and does continue to resolve host
names. Just Apache craps out.



This is running on a production server, so any help would
be great.  
>How-To-Repeat:
I have not URLs to give that may describe this, nor do I know if
you would be able to replicate the problem on another system.

I can only assume that it has to do with one of my directives
(or more?) that may be the culprit.  I am willing to e-mail
my entire httpd.conf to you for your review.  Both my srm.conf
and access.conf files are essientially null (left as-is from
install).
>Fix:
I have no suggestions as I cannot identify a possible cause.
Sorry to be so little help!  :~(

>Audit-Trail:
>Unformatted:
[In order for any reply to be added to the PR database, you need]
[to include <apbugs@Apache.Org> in the Cc line and make sure the]
[subject line starts with the report component and number, with ]
[or without any 'Re:' prefixes (such as "general/1098:" or      ]
["Re: general/1098:").  If the subject doesn't match this       ]
[pattern, your message will be misfiled and ignored.  The       ]
["apbugs" address is not added to the Cc line of messages from  ]
[the database automatically because of the potential for mail   ]
[loops.  If you do not include this Cc, your reply may be ig-   ]
[nored unless you are responding to an explicit request from a  ]
[developer.  Reply only with text; DO NOT SEND ATTACHMENTS!     ]




Mime
View raw message