www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From "Charles L. Sliger" <c...@reliant.com>
Subject Re: config/5170: Cannot configure Apache to log successfull login authorization.
Date Wed, 20 Oct 1999 17:20:25 GMT
Marc,
Thanks for the education.  You can close this one.
That was a great explanation.  It clears up a lot of
things for me.  My appologies for submitting a non-bug.
-chaz

>From marc@hyperreal.org Tue Oct 19 13:51 PDT 1999
Synopsis: Cannot configure Apache to log successfull login authorization.

State-Changed-From-To: open-closed
State-Changed-By: marc
State-Changed-When: Tue Oct 19 13:46:53 PDT 1999
State-Changed-Why:
Every time a user gets a restricted document, they "log in".
It is completely in the browser; Apache requires the
authentication for every request.  If it doesn't get it,
it sends a 401 and the browser prompts the user.

However, even if the user has "logged in" the browser can decide
not to send it in a particular situation, or it can decide
to send it just because it thinks it should.

So there is no concept of "logging in" for Apache to
know about since it is entirely a client side operation.