www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From yossarian holmberg <yoss...@nonline.net>
Subject general/5145: hostnamelookups now ON for virtualhost if .htaccess DENY statement contains FQDN instead of IP
Date Wed, 13 Oct 1999 16:10:38 GMT

>Number:         5145
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       hostnamelookups now ON for virtualhost if .htaccess DENY statement contains
FQDN instead of IP
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Release:        1.3.0
>Environment:
OS: FreeBSD yossman.net 2.2.6-RELEASE FreeBSD 2.2.6-RELEASE #0: Sat Sep 18 12:22:03 EDT 1999
    yossman@yossman.net:/usr/src/sys/compile/yossman.net.18sep1999  i386

compiler: gcc 2.7.2.1
after looking through the bugs database i didn't find direct reference to something a friend
of mine and i just discovered.  my main httpd.conf file has 'hostnamelookups off', but a virtualhoster
i have put 'deny whatever.com' into his .htaccess file, and boom, apache resolves every host
it logs for him automatically.  we are assuming this is because the server figures that if
we're denying based on hostnames instead of IPs it will automatically start to resolve everyone
that hits the site.  i haven't seen documentation or discussion on this, but i noticed other
people have submitted bug reports re:  way to get virtualhost people to be able to turn their
own lookups on.. this seems like it works, documented or not. ;-)
>How-To-Repeat:
see above.
>Fix:
don't know that there is anything to be fixed, but a documentation note would be nice, right
in the same spot where you talk about HostnameLookups configuration directive options.  unless
it's already there and i'm being dumb.