www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From "HaŽl" Lorande <h...@iname.com>
Subject os-windows/5143: after installing 1.3.9 over 1.3.6 the server doesn't work and the links do not either.
Date Thu, 30 Sep 1999 04:59:03 GMT

>Number:         5143
>Category:       os-windows
>Synopsis:       after installing 1.3.9 over 1.3.6 the server doesn't work and the links
do not either.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
I've been successfully running version 1.3.6 on my NT workstation.  I downloaded and installed
version 1.3.9 over 1.3.6 and to my dismay, the install program created several new links in
the start menu entry for apache that didn't work, and also caused apache server not to work
when it was started as a service manually.  It coudln't even be "installed" as a service becuase
the new link to "install apache as NT service" pointed instead to "My computer" and had none
of the extra -d "E:\Program Files..." stuff that the previous "install as service" links did.
 On top of that, Apache wouldn't even function unless it was run as a console app from the
dos prompt.  Unless the version/install package I downloaded got somehow corrupted (I downloaded
it again to make sure) then someone made a serious error in the install package/program for
the apache NT version 1.3.9.  I also tried uninstalling all the apache components and just
installing 1.3.9. this produced the same results.  I'm now back on 1.3.6 till this serious
bug gets worked out.  I'm guessing you guys probably have been swamped with reports in regards
to this issue but I saw no mention of it on you site so I decided to try and speed the fix
process by writing in myself.
>How-To-Repeat:
just install apache 1.3.9 over 1.3.6 on an NT workstation. or install it as a standalone and
try to get it to install as/run as a service.  The links dont' even work.
>Fix:
fix your install program and double check teh apache exe to make sure its built correctly.