www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From James Marquez <marq...@bbsr.edu>
Subject mod_access/5074: IE5 authentication problem
Date Wed, 29 Sep 1999 03:51:20 GMT

>Number:         5074
>Category:       mod_access
>Synopsis:       IE5 authentication problem
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Priority:       medium
>Responsible:    apache
>State:          open
>Class:          support
>Submitter-Id:   apache
>Arrival-Date:   Tue Sep 28 21:00:02 PDT 1999
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     marquez@bbsr.edu
>Organization:
apache
>Release:        1.3.6
>Environment:
SunOS 4.1.3 3 sun4c
>Description:
Hi I'm running Apache 1.3.6 on an old SUN OS 4.1.3 machine. Everything thing has been running
fine for years (with previouse versions of Apache, actually this problem forced us to try
an upgrade, but no dice). My problem is that I can not get IE5 to authenticate into a passwd
protected page, I don't get the dialogue box that allows me to enter my login and passwd,
it just sends me a webserver error generated page saying "
"Error: 401
Browser not authentication-capable or authentication failed. If you saw a password dialog
box, check your valid username and password and try again. If you did not see a password dialog
box, then your browser does not support passwords and must be replaced with one that does."
These are pages that are just using .htaccess. I have tried a ton of stuff from lowering (and
customizing) my internet security levels, to dissabling hhtp 1.1 and SSL 2.0, 3.0 etc. I also
tried new configurations with Apache itself changing "AllowOverride" to All and AuthConfig.
We have tested it from inside the LAN and outside. We also run another Apache server 1.3 on
our intranet and and also get nothing but the error message page. I have tested IE5 on a site
that runs an older NCSA server and that site works fine.
We are behind a firewall but that has never been a problem. The funny thing is IE 4.0 works
fine and all versions of Netscape work fine too. The Microsoft site is useless as always (I
also emailed them and got a reply they would pass my problem on to the appropriate Microsoft
group for review and response, but that was 2 weeks ago now) and I have posted this question
on both newsgroups suggested and no one has been able to help (yet others seem to be having
similar problems, been there 2 weeks). I have also reviewed the know client problems and tried
stuff listed for IE4, but nothing. I am sorry but I have exausted my sources of possible information,
can you help.
-James"
 
>How-To-Repeat:
Here is my site "http://www.bbsr.edu/rpi/" please go to the first link "Sponsor's Page" =
"http://www.bbsr.edu/rpi/climate/WGactivities/wghome.html"
>Fix:

>Audit-Trail:
>Unformatted:
[In order for any reply to be added to the PR database, you need]
[to include <apbugs@Apache.Org> in the Cc line and make sure the]
[subject line starts with the report component and number, with ]
[or without any 'Re:' prefixes (such as "general/1098:" or      ]
["Re: general/1098:").  If the subject doesn't match this       ]
[pattern, your message will be misfiled and ignored.  The       ]
["apbugs" address is not added to the Cc line of messages from  ]
[the database automatically because of the potential for mail   ]
[loops.  If you do not include this Cc, your reply may be ig-   ]
[nored unless you are responding to an explicit request from a  ]
[developer.  Reply only with text; DO NOT SEND ATTACHMENTS!     ]




Mime
View raw message