www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Chris Wollett <...@home.com>
Subject general/5058: Apache will cause my system to completely stop responding at a random, indeterminable time
Date Wed, 22 Sep 1999 23:46:51 GMT

>Number:         5058
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       Apache will cause my system to completely stop responding at a random,
indeterminable time
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
At any time, my computer will continue to run idle overnite, or while I'm away, for long intervals
if Apache is not running.  However, if I have it running, I many times come back to a system
that is locked without any way to escape besides a cold reboot since nothing will then respond.
 I've even made sure it was Apache by leaving the computer on without it, and all's well over
any given amount of time.  Apache is the only difference, and I can provide virtually a 100%
guarentee that when I return, my system is locked.  Sometimes it gets to the point that it
does so *while* i am active, and there is no way to predict when or even tell why it occurs.
 I'm stuck.  It occured with both 1.3.9 and 1.3.6, but I've never used earlier than that.
>How-To-Repeat:
I highly doubt that this happens on other systems, but there is no way that I, nor anyone
else for that matter, can reproduce it intentionally.  It just happens unexpectedly at random.
>Fix:
no suggestions