www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Julian I.Kamil <jul...@us.net>
Subject mod_negotiation/4949: Content negotiation failed with filenames containing uppercase characters.
Date Wed, 01 Sep 1999 20:06:03 GMT

>Number:         4949
>Category:       mod_negotiation
>Synopsis:       Content negotiation failed with filenames containing uppercase characters.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
Under NT, content negotiation failed to find a match for files whose names contain uppercase
characters.
>How-To-Repeat:
To repeat this problem, set MultiViews on for a directory, such as:

<Directory "c:/Apache/htdocs/">
Options MultiViews
</Directory>

Add or uncomment language extensions specifications:

DefaultLanguage en
AddLanguage en .en
AddLanguage fr .fr
LanguagePriority en fr

And then create the following files:

c:\Apache\htdocs\foobar.html.en
c:\Apache\htdocs\foobar.html.fr
c:\Apache\htdocs\FOOFOO.html.en
c:\Apache\htdocs\FOOFOO.html.fr

Restart the server.  Set up your browser to prefer French over English (methods vary by manufacturer/model).
 And then point to:

http://<host>:<port>/foobar             [returns: foobar.html.fr correctly]
http://<host>:<port>/FOOFOO             [returns: ERROR 404]
http://<host>:<port>/foobar.html        [returns: foobar.html.fr correctly]
http://<host>:<port>/FOOFOO.html        [returns: ERROR 404]
>Fix:
The log file error.log reports the following:

File does not exist: c:/apache/htdocs/foofoo

which leads me to believe that the requested filename has been converted to all lowercase
characters, which is possibly the cause of the mismatch.  However, access.log reports:

"GET /FOOFOO HTTP/1.1" 404 287

with the right case (uppercase).