www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Magnus Stenman <st...@hkust.se>
Subject general/4923: <Files> denying, DirectoryIndex and "Options indexes" cause conflict
Date Sun, 29 Aug 1999 12:32:05 GMT

>Number:         4923
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       <Files> denying, DirectoryIndex and "Options indexes" cause conflict
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
In httpd.conf I have:
DirectoryIndex index.html index.shtml index.phtml index.asp

Also:
<Files ~ "\.(asp|php3|phtml)$">
    Order allow,deny
    Deny from all
</Files>

Then I try to turn on Options Indexes in a directory:
 <Directory /home/blahus/blahusweb/html/stats>
  Options Indexes
  IndexOrderDefault Descending Name
 </Directory>

When accessing this directory, I get this error:
[Sun Aug 29 14:03:35 1999] [error] [client 195.163.200.184] client denied by server configuration:
/home/blahus/blahusweb/html/stats/index.phtml
[Sun Aug 29 14:03:35 1999] [error] [client 195.163.200.184] client denied by server configuration:
/home/blahus/blahusweb/html/stats/index.asp

I believe apache checks all of the files listed in DirectoryIndex, and when
noticing that index.phtml is not allowed (by <Files>) it denies access,
even though no index.(asp|phtml) is present on disk.

A workaround is to place
"DirectoryIndex foo" inside the <Directory> supposed to allow indexes.
>How-To-Repeat:
Insert the config directives I described and access the directory.
>Fix:
<Files> should not deny files listed in DirectoryIndex, when they are not
physically present