www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Jim Smart <...@ubik.net>
Subject os-windows/4910: Unable to start Apache NT Service if document root is configured to be on drive other than where Apache is installed
Date Thu, 26 Aug 1999 15:35:23 GMT

>Number:         4910
>Category:       os-windows
>Synopsis:       Unable to start Apache NT Service if document root is configured to be
on drive other than where Apache is installed
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
I have installed Apache on drive e:, when I edit httpd.conf, changing the line 'DocumentRoot
"e:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache/htdocs"' to read 'DocumentRoot "f:/web"' and changing
the corresponding '<Directory "e:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache/htdocs">' to read
'<Directory "f:/web">' and then stop the Apache NT Service, and attempt to restart it
again, Apache times-out, doesn't restart, throws the error 'Could not start the Apache service
on \\MYSERVER. Error 2186: The service is not responding to the control function.'. This does
not occur if I change my document root (in the above two lines) to point to 'e:/web'.
>How-To-Repeat:
Install Apache to a given drive letter, install it as a service, attempt to configure document
root to be a drive other than where Apache is installed, start/restart the service.
>Fix:
The simple workaround I'm using is to ensure the document root is on the same drive as Apache.