www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Dan Kamins <dkam...@fungusamungus.com>
Subject mod_jserv/4855: JVM left running after quit prevents modified classes from reloading
Date Thu, 12 Aug 1999 19:51:05 GMT

>Number:         4855
>Category:       mod_jserv
>Synopsis:       JVM left running after quit prevents modified classes from reloading
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
After shutting down the Apache server (either CTRL-C or 'apache -k shutdown'), its "java.exe"
process is left running.  This can be seen as an ~8MB process in the Windows Task Manager.
 Not a terrible problem yet, but it means that if I change a class (as is frequently the case
during SW development), I have to open up the Task Manager and kill the Java process before
re-running apache!  EVERY time.  This sucks!  It took me a long time to figure out that was
even the problem, but JServ should definitely kill the JVM when it's done.

BTW I checked all through the FAQs, and couldn't find anything on this, so if it has been
discussed, please point me to the right place.
>How-To-Repeat:
See description... Contact me if you can't reproduce it, though I can't imagine it's too hard
to see.
>Fix:
JServ should force the JVM process to terminate when Apache shuts down.  If this is evil,
then at LEAST there should be an option for this to happen.  There are normally 6 or so Java.exe
processes running, and for me to pick one at random to terminate isn't the best solution right
now.