www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Dustin Vaught <dvau...@inaxx.net>
Subject os-linux/4848: Apache locks every few days under high load (multiple physical servers)
Date Tue, 10 Aug 1999 21:55:20 GMT

>Number:         4848
>Category:       os-linux
>Synopsis:       Apache locks every few days under high load (multiple physical servers)
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
We have an array of around 50 servers. They are all running Linux 2.2.7 and
apache 1.3.6. Every week or so the apache daemon on many of the servers will
stop responding to requests. The parent and children do not crash, they just
stop responding for a period of time. Nothing suspicious in the netstat, and
there are no crontabs running at the times it occurs. Seems very odd as most or
all of the servers experience the problem at the same time. Nothing else on the
servers are affected. The disk/cpu load is not high. Duration is from a minute
to 20 minutes+ No excess inbound traffic to indicate a brute force attack.
>How-To-Repeat:
The problem is hard to reproduce, as I am not sure what triggers it. Possibly a
vulnerability or anomaly in linux 2.2.7/apache 1.3.6. This problem also occured
with apache 1.3.3. (the previous version we ran). Very random, sometimes it will
happen 2 days apart, sometimes a month. Havn't had any other problems.
>Fix:
Nope - I will try to grab an strace of the parent apache next time this happens.
Please help :) When this happens we lose nearly 45 megabits of outbound traffic.