www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Konstantin Morshnev <m...@design.ru>
Subject general/4662: Large file - large child size
Date Sun, 27 Jun 1999 16:53:43 GMT

>Number:         4662
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       Large file - large child size
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
It started when we put several .avi files on our server (size about ~20 mb).
Then I began to see very big apache children in process list.
Short investigation shown that apache child grows as it sends file.

Apache child in "normal" state:
20049 nobody     1   0  1584 1584  1216 S       0  0.0  1.2   0:02 httpd
After I've read 4347 kb of 20mv .avi:
20049 nobody     2   0  5548 5548  5220 S       0  0.7  4.1   0:00 httpd
And so on.

I've tested several our servers. Problem found only in apache 1.3.6, both
Linux and FreeBSD. Apache 1.3.4, 1.2.6 no affected.

Apache frees this memory on connection close, so it looks like pool memory leek.
>How-To-Repeat:
Create a big file and look as apache child size changes while getting it.
>Fix:
I've looked through
default_handler
ap_send_fd
ap_bwrite
but didn't found resons for this behavour.