www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Kristian Holdich <kristian.hold...@wcom.co.uk>
Subject general/4655: Authentication Issue with Mod Rewrite
Date Sat, 26 Jun 1999 10:06:13 GMT

>Number:         4655
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       Authentication Issue with Mod Rewrite
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
We are using Mod_Rewrite to set up proxy connects so that URL's such as www.mysite.com/foo/bar/
proxy a connection to somewhere_behind_the_firewall.mysite.com/foo/bar/
So far so good, we then password protected www.mysite.com/foo/*
The problem was that the www.mysite.com/foo prompted for a password but if someone requested
/foo/bar/ directly no password prompt is given.

Okay, we thought; lets put a rewrite rule that redirects users to the top if they havent authenticated,
logging showed that %{REMOTE_USER} was always empty.
The bugbase (1687) showed someone else had this problem and that it was because rewrite is
dealt with before remote_user.

This leaves the problem that we cannot password protect a system that we want to export through
the firewall.

To summarise: Mod Rewrite may bypass any security that has been placed on a per directory
basis.
>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:
Nope. will look at mod_proxy however