www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Jarin Satterlee <ja...@thegrid.net>
Subject general/4654: Apache process won't die and hangs onto port 443
Date Sat, 26 Jun 1999 02:23:34 GMT

>Number:         4654
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       Apache process won't die and hangs onto port 443
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
Sometimes we have to restart the apache server on a machine that is running
a live application for internal corporate functions (mainly accessing
various Oracle databases through perl scripts).  When I try to shutdown
apache (using a script in /etc/init.d), sometimes 1 process will be left
hanging.  I cannot kill -<anything> this stupid process and it is hanging
onto port 443.  The only way that I can get rid of this process is to
reboot the machine (not a good solution).  I am trying to find out how
I can kill the freaking process or why it is happening so that I can avoid it.

Thanks in advance for any help on this one.  Sun tech wouldn't touch it.
It would be nice if there was a way to specifically free up a port with
connections on it.  Not even bringing down the network interface that
port was open on wouldn't get rid of the problem.  Apache would regain
control of that port when the interface was brought back up.
>How-To-Repeat:
Unfortunately the machine is behind a firewall, besides it isn't related to
a particular url.